PHOENIX — The Forest Service is sending a DC-10 firefighting air tanker to Arizona on Tuesday in preparation for fire season.
The converted passenger airliner that used to carry almost 400 passengers now carries more than 10,000 gallons of fire suppressant and is able to lay down a mile-long line around fires. It will be based at Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport.
The tanker is based in Victorville, Calif.
“For a large aircraft it’s nimble. It’s another good tool for us,” said Clay Templin with the Tonto National Forest. Aside from the tanker, more manpower will be brought in to fight fires.
“We’re bringing in additional hotshot crews and engines from Idaho and Montana. We have a ready reserve that can respond to an emerging incident,” Templin said.
The jumbo jet played an important role in saving the town of Greer from the 2011 Wallow Fire and has been used on the Powerhouse Fire in Southern California in the past few days. It will also see action on two fires burning in New Mexico.
Several smaller air attack planes are already based at Gateway.
“We’re positioning air assets where they can quickly respond to new fires and we have the facilities in Mesa,” Templin said.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development