PHOENIX — The Forest Service is sending a DC-10 firefighting air tanker to Arizona on Tuesday in preparation for fire season.
The converted passenger airliner that used to carry almost 400 passengers now carries more than 10,000 gallons of fire suppressant and is able to lay down a mile-long line around fires. It will be based at Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport.
The tanker is based in Victorville, Calif.
“For a large aircraft it’s nimble. It’s another good tool for us,” said Clay Templin with the Tonto National Forest. Aside from the tanker, more manpower will be brought in to fight fires.
“We’re bringing in additional hotshot crews and engines from Idaho and Montana. We have a ready reserve that can respond to an emerging incident,” Templin said.
The jumbo jet played an important role in saving the town of Greer from the 2011 Wallow Fire and has been used on the Powerhouse Fire in Southern California in the past few days. It will also see action on two fires burning in New Mexico.
Several smaller air attack planes are already based at Gateway.
“We’re positioning air assets where they can quickly respond to new fires and we have the facilities in Mesa,” Templin said.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.