Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake and his sons marked the Memorial Day weekend like many families do: taking a vacation.
But his destination was a bit further than San Diego.
According to The Washington Post, Flake and two of his sons, Tanner and Dallin, retreated to an uninhabited island called Biggarenn in the north Pacific Ocean, where they survived off of crabs, fish and coconuts.
“Tens of thousands of coconuts littered the island,” Flake said. “You just had to pick up the ones that were still ripe.”
The Flakes brought along few supplies. One of the items, a lobster trap, was destroyed by a shark.
For water, the Flakes had two manual desalinization pumps. It took them hours each night to pump enough water to get them through the next day.
“For a dad it was a wonderful thing. No video games around, no television, no distractions, no texting,” Flake recalled. “To just sit there and pump water, that was my favorite time, frankly, on the island. Just talking. Just to have no distractions.”
Flake did have a satellite phone in case of emergencies and to stay updated with on-going events in Washington, D.C., and Arizona, including the jailing of Yanira Maldonado.
Four years ago, Flake took a similar trip to a smaller island, Jabonwod, about 20 miles from Biggarenn.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night