Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake and his sons marked the Memorial Day weekend like many families do: taking a vacation.
But his destination was a bit further than San Diego.
According to The Washington Post, Flake and two of his sons, Tanner and Dallin, retreated to an uninhabited island called Biggarenn in the north Pacific Ocean, where they survived off of crabs, fish and coconuts.
“Tens of thousands of coconuts littered the island,” Flake said. “You just had to pick up the ones that were still ripe.”
The Flakes brought along few supplies. One of the items, a lobster trap, was destroyed by a shark.
For water, the Flakes had two manual desalinization pumps. It took them hours each night to pump enough water to get them through the next day.
“For a dad it was a wonderful thing. No video games around, no television, no distractions, no texting,” Flake recalled. “To just sit there and pump water, that was my favorite time, frankly, on the island. Just talking. Just to have no distractions.”
Flake did have a satellite phone in case of emergencies and to stay updated with on-going events in Washington, D.C., and Arizona, including the jailing of Yanira Maldonado.
Four years ago, Flake took a similar trip to a smaller island, Jabonwod, about 20 miles from Biggarenn.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food