PHOENIX — When the temperature soars, so do the electric bills, but there are some things you can do to lessen the impact.
“The air-conditioning uses about 50 percent of the energy in our house,” said Patty Garcia-Likens with Salt River Project. “So there are things customers can do to save money on their energy usage during these hot summer months.”
First, be aware that the cooler the temperature inside the home will affect the price you pay at the end of the month. According to SRP, you should set your thermostat between 78 to 80 degrees when you are home and up to 85 degrees when you are away. For every degree you set your thermostat above 80 degrees, you can save approximately 2 to 3 percent on cooling costs.
SRP encourages customers to use ceiling fans, properly seal windows and doors and use big appliances late in day or evening to avoid increasing the temperature inside the home. You can also invest in sun shades which can help reduce energy costs by up to 25 percent.
Another great idea is to have an expert conduct a home energy audit. They’ll assess your home from top to bottom and give you a checklist of what needs attention.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths