FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — Two young male hikers from Scottsdale, Ariz., were rescued by Coconino County Sheriff’s Office personnel late Saturday evening after they found themselves caught in the darkness at the West Fork Trailhead in Oak Creek Canyon.
At about a quarter before 9 p.m., a Sedona Fire Department (SFD) dispatcher received an emergency call from one of the two hikers who said they were stranded and had no flashlights or visible light from the moon to guide them back to the trail. The SFD was able to determine latitude and longitude from the cell phone call within approximately 100 feet, and a team compromising the Coconino County Sheriff’s Deputy, a Search and Rescue Coordinator and Rescue Volunteer were sent to the area in order to rescue these young hikers, whose ages are 17 and 21 years old, respectively.
Rescuers hiked for about two miles until they found the young men and provided them with flashlights. They then walked them back to the trail.
The Coconino County Sheriff’s Search and Rescue Unit would like to remind hikers and hunters to leave a detailed trip plan with a trusted person and be prepared for the unexpected night out in the event of an accident or other emergency. They also advise you to carry the 10 essentials: extra water, food, warm clothing, navigation equipment, a headlamp or flashlight, a first aid kit, shelter material, a fire starting kit, a pocket knife, and signaling equipment like a signal mirror and whistle.
During the summer months extreme caution with fire is urged in order to prevent a wildfire.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas