PHOENIX — Video of an arrest conducted over the weekend by Mesa police is going viral.
The video, posted to YouTube by Dan Brooksby, shows a Mesa police officer attempting to arrest a man and then a violent fight. A loud crash off-camera is a second officer getting into a car crash while responding to the scene.
Mesa Police Sgt. Tony Landato said officers acted within protocol during a dangerous situation at the Circle K at the corner of McKellips and Center in Mesa.
“I have a Taser on the ground, I have my radio on the ground, I got a gun on the ground who this guy has already tried to go towards; he stripped it out of the other officer’s waistband,” he said.
Had the suspect complied with officers, he likely would have just received a ticket, Landato said. The suspect now faces felony charges.
Landato also said the department has no issue with people filming officers, so long as they do not interfere with the investigation and stay out of harm’s way.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer contributed to this report.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon