PHOENIX — In the opening session of a White House conference on mental health, President Barack said it was time to stop hiding the issue.
But money, not shame, seems to be the biggest obstacle for people looking for mental health help, according to a University of Phoenix survey. The survey said 57 percent of people who experienced roadblocks to professional counseling cited financial barriers, followed by 36 percent who cited health insurance coverage.
Lead Faculty Member for University of Phoenix College of Social Sciences and licensed therapist Leslie Baker said insurance companies typically cover depression, anxiety and bipolar disorder, but not relational issues.
“Boys seem to have higher rates of depression when their parents are divorced,” Baker said.”Here we will treat that, but we won’t treat the precursor, which is parents getting divorced. It’s an interesting conundrum.”
Baker said another challenge is that many people don’t know where to find professional help. She suggested the following steps:
• Determine what kind of practitioner is needed — licensed counselors and social workers handle relational issues, psychologists can also provide testing and psychiatrists can provide counseling and medication.
• Verify the person is licensed through the state board
Get a referral from a friend, acquaintance or an insurance company.
• Interview the practitioner by phone or in-person. Ask how long he/she has been practicing and in what areas. Find out what his/her approach is to the issue and how long treatment generally lasts.
The University of Phoenix offers free and low-fee services at the Community Counseling Center in Tempe. For more information call 480-557-2217.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food