The Arizona Department of Health Services is launching an online database to help consumers make informed decisions about their healthcare.
The new website, AZ Hospital Compare, will allow people to research hospital costs and view information on things like reinfection rates and associated infections.
“Really for the first time, it will provide transparency not only around costs, but also performance issues that matter to everyone,” said Will Humble, department director.
For example, expectant mothers can look for a hospital that excels in uncomplicated newborn deliveries.
The database will include more than 70 hospitals in Arizona. Patients who are paying out of pocket can also use it to find out what different hospitals charge for various procedures.
Humble said the transparency of the website will benefit the overall public health system.
“That transparency will end up resulting in better care because if a hospital has embarrassing results, they’re going to take more measures to move the dial over the next year,” he said.
The hospital reports are generated by a web development tool created by the Federal Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). The information is based on discharge rates and quality indicator measures taken from Arizona hospital discharge data.
For more information on AZ Hospital Compare, visit the ADHS website.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon