The Arizona Department of Health Services is launching an online database to help consumers make informed decisions about their healthcare.
The new website, AZ Hospital Compare, will allow people to research hospital costs and view information on things like reinfection rates and associated infections.
“Really for the first time, it will provide transparency not only around costs, but also performance issues that matter to everyone,” said Will Humble, department director.
For example, expectant mothers can look for a hospital that excels in uncomplicated newborn deliveries.
The database will include more than 70 hospitals in Arizona. Patients who are paying out of pocket can also use it to find out what different hospitals charge for various procedures.
Humble said the transparency of the website will benefit the overall public health system.
“That transparency will end up resulting in better care because if a hospital has embarrassing results, they’re going to take more measures to move the dial over the next year,” he said.
The hospital reports are generated by a web development tool created by the Federal Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). The information is based on discharge rates and quality indicator measures taken from Arizona hospital discharge data.
For more information on AZ Hospital Compare, visit the ADHS website.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier