PHOENIX — Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer said she was “relieved” to hear that a 42-year-old Goodyear woman has been released from a Mexican prison.
Yanira Maldonado had been held on a drug smuggling charge that was dismissed after a court reviewed the case. She was able to leave Mexico on Friday.
“Our staff was in contact with the administration south of the border, and working here north of the border,” Brewer said. “We are just so relieved that it worked out and that she’s home safely with her family.”
Brewer went on to say that the family “can now put this chapter of their life behind them,” and Maldonado’s case should be a lesson for all Americans.
“I think it’s really important for all Americans to remember that, when any United States citizens travel abroad or leave this country, that they realize that they don’t take their United States Constitutional rights and privileges with them,” she said. “When we travel abroad, we need to be careful wherever we travel.”
Brewer said she has tried to call Maldonado at least 12 times since this morning’s release, but has not been able to get through to her.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon