PHOENIX — Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer said she was “relieved” to hear that a 42-year-old Goodyear woman has been released from a Mexican prison.
Yanira Maldonado had been held on a drug smuggling charge that was dismissed after a court reviewed the case. She was able to leave Mexico on Friday.
“Our staff was in contact with the administration south of the border, and working here north of the border,” Brewer said. “We are just so relieved that it worked out and that she’s home safely with her family.”
Brewer went on to say that the family “can now put this chapter of their life behind them,” and Maldonado’s case should be a lesson for all Americans.
“I think it’s really important for all Americans to remember that, when any United States citizens travel abroad or leave this country, that they realize that they don’t take their United States Constitutional rights and privileges with them,” she said. “When we travel abroad, we need to be careful wherever we travel.”
Brewer said she has tried to call Maldonado at least 12 times since this morning’s release, but has not been able to get through to her.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.