BALI, Indonesia (AP) – Indonesia’s government has ordered that production be halted at a giant U.S.-owned gold and copper mine during an investigation into recent fatal accidents there, a senior official said Monday.
Mines and Energy Minister Jero Wacik said the mine will only be allowed to conduct maintenance during the probe by an independent team, which is expected to take two to three months.
PT Freeport Indonesia’s Big Gossan underground training facility at its Grasberg mine in easternmost Papua province collapsed May 14, killing 28 workers. A truck driver at the mine died on Saturday, a day after he was injured when liquid ore material flowed into his vehicle.
The mine, owned by Phoenix, Arizona-based Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc., produces around 220,000 tons of ore per day _ 140,000 from its open mine and 80,000 from an underground one.
Freeport said it has completed a preliminary safety inspection of its mines and is in the process of forming its own team to investigate the collapse.
Freeport Indonesia spokeswoman Daisy Primayanti said the company will cooperate with the government in efforts to restart mining operations.
President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono has ordered officials to thoroughly evaluate all mining companies in the country to ensure safety.
Operations at the Grasberg mine were suspended after the tunnel collapse for two weeks until May 28. However, three days later liquid ore flowed into the truck, killing the driver.
Union leader Virgo Salossa said Monday that unionized workers will refuse to work until the release of the investigation results.
More than 20,000 workers are employed at the mine, which began operations in the 1970s.
In 2011, production was crippled when 8,000 unionized employees walked off the job after demanding higher pay. The strike ended after the company agreed to a 37 percent wage hike and improved benefits.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon