BALI, Indonesia (AP) – Indonesia’s government has ordered that production be halted at a giant U.S.-owned gold and copper mine during an investigation into recent fatal accidents there, a senior official said Monday.
Mines and Energy Minister Jero Wacik said the mine will only be allowed to conduct maintenance during the probe by an independent team, which is expected to take two to three months.
PT Freeport Indonesia’s Big Gossan underground training facility at its Grasberg mine in easternmost Papua province collapsed May 14, killing 28 workers. A truck driver at the mine died on Saturday, a day after he was injured when liquid ore material flowed into his vehicle.
The mine, owned by Phoenix, Arizona-based Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc., produces around 220,000 tons of ore per day _ 140,000 from its open mine and 80,000 from an underground one.
Freeport said it has completed a preliminary safety inspection of its mines and is in the process of forming its own team to investigate the collapse.
Freeport Indonesia spokeswoman Daisy Primayanti said the company will cooperate with the government in efforts to restart mining operations.
President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono has ordered officials to thoroughly evaluate all mining companies in the country to ensure safety.
Operations at the Grasberg mine were suspended after the tunnel collapse for two weeks until May 28. However, three days later liquid ore flowed into the truck, killing the driver.
Union leader Virgo Salossa said Monday that unionized workers will refuse to work until the release of the investigation results.
More than 20,000 workers are employed at the mine, which began operations in the 1970s.
In 2011, production was crippled when 8,000 unionized employees walked off the job after demanding higher pay. The strike ended after the company agreed to a 37 percent wage hike and improved benefits.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America