TEMPE, Ariz. — The City of Tempe has come up with a unique new way to encourage library users to return overdue materials.
From now until July 27, the Tempe Public Library will accept donated bottles of water or non-perishable food items to help the homeless and less fortunate members of the community. In exchange for each item donated, the library will apply one dollar to that person’s account.
The program will cover up to $30 or half the account balance, whichever is greater. Accounts in collection status are not eligible to participate.
To encourage generosity, a case of water will be counted as $30.
“This time of year food banks are down on donations and water is so important to help us,” said Kris Baxter-Ging, Tempe Public Information Officer. “Our desert heat can get so intense, it can be deadly. We want to make sure people are comfortable and healthy all summer long.”
Library users with no fines will instead be entered into a drawing for prizes, including autographed books and baskets filled with items made by Tempe merchants.
Baxter-Ging said in addition to helping the community, the program was designed to run concurrently with the library’s summer reading program for kids. If a family has late fees, kids are unable to check out books or enroll in the program.
“We really want to make sure kids are reading all summer long,” she said. “That’s how they can avoid that summer slide where their skills wane before going back to school.
“So if you keep the kids reading, they’re not bored, they’re happy, they’re learning and the homeless are hydrated. It’s a beautiful thing.”
For more information on “Water for Fines” visit the Tempe Public Library website.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.