A stretch of Interstate 10 westbound lanes near Quartzsite reopened Thursday night after being closed for hours due to reports of suspicious devices found inside a truck on the side of the road.
According to Arizona Department of Transportation, the I-10 westbound at milepost 45 to milepost 28 was reopened around 8:30 p.m.
Arizona Department of Public Safety Officer Carrick Cook said officers initially responded to reports of someone throwing rocks on the side of I-10 near Quartzsite and determined the individual in question was suffering from a form mental illness.
“Our officers arrived and made contact with the individual, established there might be some kind of mental health disorder or something going on with him,” Cook said.
The man was taken to a Parker area hospital for further evaluation.
Officers opted to close the highway for a period of time because of the serious nature of the threat.
“Our bomb squad guys arrived to the truck and evaluated it and noticed that there was some kind of suspicious packages inside the truck itself so we kept westbound I-10 closed because of that,” Cook said.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.