A stretch of Interstate 10 westbound lanes near Quartzsite reopened Thursday night after being closed for hours due to reports of suspicious devices found inside a truck on the side of the road.
According to Arizona Department of Transportation, the I-10 westbound at milepost 45 to milepost 28 was reopened around 8:30 p.m.
Arizona Department of Public Safety Officer Carrick Cook said officers initially responded to reports of someone throwing rocks on the side of I-10 near Quartzsite and determined the individual in question was suffering from a form mental illness.
“Our officers arrived and made contact with the individual, established there might be some kind of mental health disorder or something going on with him,” Cook said.
The man was taken to a Parker area hospital for further evaluation.
Officers opted to close the highway for a period of time because of the serious nature of the threat.
“Our bomb squad guys arrived to the truck and evaluated it and noticed that there was some kind of suspicious packages inside the truck itself so we kept westbound I-10 closed because of that,” Cook said.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development