A stretch of Interstate 10 westbound lanes near Quartzsite reopened Thursday night after being closed for hours due to reports of suspicious devices found inside a truck on the side of the road.
According to Arizona Department of Transportation, the I-10 westbound at milepost 45 to milepost 28 was reopened around 8:30 p.m.
Arizona Department of Public Safety Officer Carrick Cook said officers initially responded to reports of someone throwing rocks on the side of I-10 near Quartzsite and determined the individual in question was suffering from a form mental illness.
“Our officers arrived and made contact with the individual, established there might be some kind of mental health disorder or something going on with him,” Cook said.
The man was taken to a Parker area hospital for further evaluation.
Officers opted to close the highway for a period of time because of the serious nature of the threat.
“Our bomb squad guys arrived to the truck and evaluated it and noticed that there was some kind of suspicious packages inside the truck itself so we kept westbound I-10 closed because of that,” Cook said.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night