It’s that time of year again.
The heat is back, temperatures are expected to be around 108 degrees on Sunday and officials are urging Arizonans to take extra precautions to stay cool.
When the weather gets hot, Valley emergency rooms get a little crowded.
“Last year, we saw about 2,500 hospital visits from a heat-related illnesses and about 500 hospital emissions,” said Mathew Roach, Environmental Epidemiologist for the Arizona Department of Health Services.
Roach said, when things get hot, there are three things you should remember to do.
“Stay cool, stay hydrated and stay informed,” he said. “Drink plenty of water, go into an air-conditioned building and be informed of upcoming weather alerts by listening to your radio about heat warnings that are upcoming.”
Roach said people should stay away from alcoholic beverages and “sugary” drinks.
“Water, water,water,” he said. “Drink two cups of water before, during and after any activity in the heat. You can’t just drink it after doing any kind of physical activity. It’s not going to keep your body safe.”
Roach advised using SPF 30 sunscreen and to limit outside activities to the coolest part of the day if possible.
If you don’t have air conditioning, or can’t keep cool in your home for any other reason, there are several cooling centers that you can go to around the Valley. To find out where they are, click here.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns