It’s that time of year again.
The heat is back, temperatures are expected to be around 108 degrees on Sunday and officials are urging Arizonans to take extra precautions to stay cool.
When the weather gets hot, Valley emergency rooms get a little crowded.
“Last year, we saw about 2,500 hospital visits from a heat-related illnesses and about 500 hospital emissions,” said Mathew Roach, Environmental Epidemiologist for the Arizona Department of Health Services.
Roach said, when things get hot, there are three things you should remember to do.
“Stay cool, stay hydrated and stay informed,” he said. “Drink plenty of water, go into an air-conditioned building and be informed of upcoming weather alerts by listening to your radio about heat warnings that are upcoming.”
Roach said people should stay away from alcoholic beverages and “sugary” drinks.
“Water, water,water,” he said. “Drink two cups of water before, during and after any activity in the heat. You can’t just drink it after doing any kind of physical activity. It’s not going to keep your body safe.”
Roach advised using SPF 30 sunscreen and to limit outside activities to the coolest part of the day if possible.
If you don’t have air conditioning, or can’t keep cool in your home for any other reason, there are several cooling centers that you can go to around the Valley. To find out where they are, click here.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food