PHOENIX — Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio released the following statement Thursday after an effort to get him recalled fell short.
The statement has not been altered in any way.
“It was just reported the group behind the recall effort against me will not be turning in the required amount of signatures; nor are they stating how many signatures they actually collected perhaps because they are embarrassed by the level of their failure.
“Secondly, organizers said they would not turn over the signatures in order to save the county taxpayers money, which we feel is a little disingenuous.
“After months of name calling, after the disparaging effigies and theatrics aimed at getting media attention to include even bringing chickens and protestors to my office repeatedly, this latest recall effort has failed.
“This effort failed because the good people of Maricopa County, whom I’m honored to serve, rejected the wrong-headed idea of overturning an election.
“For 21 years, I have had faith in the voters in Maricopa County. I’m grateful for all the help and support I received during this time,” said Arpaio.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas