PHOENIX — Surveillance video of a woman accused of trying to smuggle drugs into the United States from Mexico shows her boarding a bus without the bags of marijuana.
According to ABC News, which viewed the footage, Yanira Maldonado is seen climbing onto the bus carrying a purse and a couple bottles of water. Before boarding she handed her husband Gary a pair of folded blankets.
Maldonado has repeatedly professed her innocence. She said in a TV interview she has “nothing to hide.”
The Goodyear mother of seven remained in jail in Mexico Thursday after authorities there found 12 pounds of marijuana under her seat last week.
A lawyer, Jose Francisco Benitez Paz, has been retained by the family. He said he had requested a list of the bus passengers and video of the passengers boarding in Los Mochis, and presented letters from people he described as prominent American officials vouching for Maldonado’s character.
He said he was awaiting financial information proving she would have no need to earn cash smuggling drugs.
Paz said a judge would decide by Friday whether to free Maldonado.
Associated Press contributed to this article.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food