MESA, Ariz. — With weekend temperatures forecast well over 100 degrees, many people will be hitting the pool.
In response, the Mesa Fire Department unveiled its new drowning prevention plan on Thursday.
Mesa Fire is reminding parents to watch kids around water like a hawk. This campaign, titled “I Remember,” features a powerful must-see video for all parents and grandparents, in which two Valley moms who lost children in pools describe the impact.
Allison James lost her 2-year-old son Ian in 2013. She had all of the proper safeguards in place: Pool fence, locking doors and gates. She went to turn on a sprinkler and, in that brief time, her two sons accessed the pool with a high chair they took outside.
“If I can save someone else’s baby it will make all the difference in the world,” she said. “It won’t bring my baby back but hopefully I can someone the heartache.”
James wants all parents to start to train their child, beginning at 10-months-old, about water safety to teach them how to get out of the pool on their own and how to float for just that short time that parents would need to get to them.
Mesa Fire said their goal is to save lives and become a blueprint with this campaign for the rest of the nation.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck