MESA, Ariz. — With weekend temperatures forecast well over 100 degrees, many people will be hitting the pool.
In response, the Mesa Fire Department unveiled its new drowning prevention plan on Thursday.
Mesa Fire is reminding parents to watch kids around water like a hawk. This campaign, titled “I Remember,” features a powerful must-see video for all parents and grandparents, in which two Valley moms who lost children in pools describe the impact.
Allison James lost her 2-year-old son Ian in 2013. She had all of the proper safeguards in place: Pool fence, locking doors and gates. She went to turn on a sprinkler and, in that brief time, her two sons accessed the pool with a high chair they took outside.
“If I can save someone else’s baby it will make all the difference in the world,” she said. “It won’t bring my baby back but hopefully I can someone the heartache.”
James wants all parents to start to train their child, beginning at 10-months-old, about water safety to teach them how to get out of the pool on their own and how to float for just that short time that parents would need to get to them.
Mesa Fire said their goal is to save lives and become a blueprint with this campaign for the rest of the nation.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick