PHOENIX — Arizona is one of 12 states, plus the nation’s capital, where more people die by guns than traffic accidents, according to a study.
The analysis from the Violence Policy Center, a nonprofit gun-safety advocacy group, is based on statistics from 2010.
The study said that while nearly all American households own a car, only about one-third of households have a gun.
The deaths include suicides, accidental shootings and homicides.
Arizona’s rate per 100,000 population is 14.57 for gun deaths, and 12.44 per 100,000 in vehicular deaths. Alaska’s gun-rate death is 20.28; Illinois is 8.29.
• Alaska: 144 gun deaths, 71 motor vehicle deaths
• Arizona: 931 gun deaths, 795 motor vehicle deaths
• Colorado: 555 gun deaths, 487 motor vehicle deaths
• District of Columbia: 99 gun deaths, 38 motor vehicle deaths
• Illinois: 1,064 gun deaths, 1,042 motor vehicle deaths
• Louisiana: 864 gun deaths, 722 motor vehicle deaths
• Maryland: 538 gun deaths, 514 motor vehicle deaths
• Michigan: 1,076 gun deaths, 1,063 motor vehicle deaths
• Nevada: 395 gun deaths, 289 motor vehicle deaths
• Oregon: 458 gun deaths, 324 motor vehicle deaths
• Utah: 314 gun deaths, 274 motor vehicle deaths
• Virginia: 875 gun deaths, 728 motor vehicle deaths
• Washington: 609 gun deaths, 554 motor vehicle deaths
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains