PHOENIX — Arizona is one of 12 states, plus the nation’s capital, where more people die by guns than traffic accidents, according to a study.
The analysis from the Violence Policy Center, a nonprofit gun-safety advocacy group, is based on statistics from 2010.
The study said that while nearly all American households own a car, only about one-third of households have a gun.
The deaths include suicides, accidental shootings and homicides.
Arizona’s rate per 100,000 population is 14.57 for gun deaths, and 12.44 per 100,000 in vehicular deaths. Alaska’s gun-rate death is 20.28; Illinois is 8.29.
• Alaska: 144 gun deaths, 71 motor vehicle deaths
• Arizona: 931 gun deaths, 795 motor vehicle deaths
• Colorado: 555 gun deaths, 487 motor vehicle deaths
• District of Columbia: 99 gun deaths, 38 motor vehicle deaths
• Illinois: 1,064 gun deaths, 1,042 motor vehicle deaths
• Louisiana: 864 gun deaths, 722 motor vehicle deaths
• Maryland: 538 gun deaths, 514 motor vehicle deaths
• Michigan: 1,076 gun deaths, 1,063 motor vehicle deaths
• Nevada: 395 gun deaths, 289 motor vehicle deaths
• Oregon: 458 gun deaths, 324 motor vehicle deaths
• Utah: 314 gun deaths, 274 motor vehicle deaths
• Virginia: 875 gun deaths, 728 motor vehicle deaths
• Washington: 609 gun deaths, 554 motor vehicle deaths
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development