PHOENIX — Mexico remains a popular destination for American tourists but in many places it remains a dangerous place to be.
On the heels of Goodyear resident Yanira Maldononado’s arrest in Mexico on drug smuggling charges that she is fighting, Louis Thiele, co-host of KTAR’s “Travel Show,” said Americans vacationing south of the border should do so only in the major tourist areas.
“Those people involved in government have a vested interest in seeing that tourists are treated well. If you’re away from the tourist hot spots in communities where the police aren’t paid well, you look look like a target of opportunity,” Thiele said.
It’s a must to have travel insurance, he added.
“The travel insurance company has a relationship with people with connections to people in the law world down there. In many cases in Mexico it’s not what you know, but who you know.”
Thiele said to make copies of passports and keep the originals in a hotel safe.
“Any legal authority who really needs to see your passport will go to the hotel with you. American passports are very valuable on the black market. Once someone has your passport, they have you.”
Linda Gorman with Arizona AAA said don’t throw caution to the wind when traveling south of the border.
“Stay in groups and in the tourist areas. Don’t wear flashy jewelry.”
Gorman said driving into Mexico requires a Mexican insurance policy. Driving without it will mean serious repercussions for anyone caught.
“In Mexico you are guilty until you are proven innocent,” Gorman said.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy