PHOENIX — Mexico remains a popular destination for American tourists but in many places it remains a dangerous place to be.
On the heels of Goodyear resident Yanira Maldononado’s arrest in Mexico on drug smuggling charges that she is fighting, Louis Thiele, co-host of KTAR’s “Travel Show,” said Americans vacationing south of the border should do so only in the major tourist areas.
“Those people involved in government have a vested interest in seeing that tourists are treated well. If you’re away from the tourist hot spots in communities where the police aren’t paid well, you look look like a target of opportunity,” Thiele said.
It’s a must to have travel insurance, he added.
“The travel insurance company has a relationship with people with connections to people in the law world down there. In many cases in Mexico it’s not what you know, but who you know.”
Thiele said to make copies of passports and keep the originals in a hotel safe.
“Any legal authority who really needs to see your passport will go to the hotel with you. American passports are very valuable on the black market. Once someone has your passport, they have you.”
Linda Gorman with Arizona AAA said don’t throw caution to the wind when traveling south of the border.
“Stay in groups and in the tourist areas. Don’t wear flashy jewelry.”
Gorman said driving into Mexico requires a Mexican insurance policy. Driving without it will mean serious repercussions for anyone caught.
“In Mexico you are guilty until you are proven innocent,” Gorman said.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier