PHOENIX — Climate change was the subject of a lot of conversation on the lawn outside the Arizona House of Representatives on Wednesday morning.
The group Organizing for Acton may have been at the Arizona State Capitol, but they were really calling on Arizona’s national leaders to take action.
“We wanted to make sure that our delegation, Sen. John McCain, Sen. Jeff Flake and Arizona members of the U.S. House understand that climate change is a serious issue for Arizona,” said Sandy Bahr of the Sierra Club, which is part of Organizing for Action.
Bahr said Valley summers will be even hotter if climate change isn’t prevented.
“Pretty much every climate study shows that the southwestern United States is going to be one of the areas hardest hit in North America,” she said.
The group believes that America needs to turn to cleaner energy sources.
“For us in Arizona, solar makes a lot of sense,” Bahr said. “We have over 300 days of sunshine. We should be leading the United States relative to solar, if not the world, and we’re still lagging.”
Bahr said Congress needs to pass laws that turn the country away from energy sources that cause pollution.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night