PHOENIX — Climate change was the subject of a lot of conversation on the lawn outside the Arizona House of Representatives on Wednesday morning.
The group Organizing for Acton may have been at the Arizona State Capitol, but they were really calling on Arizona’s national leaders to take action.
“We wanted to make sure that our delegation, Sen. John McCain, Sen. Jeff Flake and Arizona members of the U.S. House understand that climate change is a serious issue for Arizona,” said Sandy Bahr of the Sierra Club, which is part of Organizing for Action.
Bahr said Valley summers will be even hotter if climate change isn’t prevented.
“Pretty much every climate study shows that the southwestern United States is going to be one of the areas hardest hit in North America,” she said.
The group believes that America needs to turn to cleaner energy sources.
“For us in Arizona, solar makes a lot of sense,” Bahr said. “We have over 300 days of sunshine. We should be leading the United States relative to solar, if not the world, and we’re still lagging.”
Bahr said Congress needs to pass laws that turn the country away from energy sources that cause pollution.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America