PHOENIX — Climate change was the subject of a lot of conversation on the lawn outside the Arizona House of Representatives on Wednesday morning.
The group Organizing for Acton may have been at the Arizona State Capitol, but they were really calling on Arizona’s national leaders to take action.
“We wanted to make sure that our delegation, Sen. John McCain, Sen. Jeff Flake and Arizona members of the U.S. House understand that climate change is a serious issue for Arizona,” said Sandy Bahr of the Sierra Club, which is part of Organizing for Action.
Bahr said Valley summers will be even hotter if climate change isn’t prevented.
“Pretty much every climate study shows that the southwestern United States is going to be one of the areas hardest hit in North America,” she said.
The group believes that America needs to turn to cleaner energy sources.
“For us in Arizona, solar makes a lot of sense,” Bahr said. “We have over 300 days of sunshine. We should be leading the United States relative to solar, if not the world, and we’re still lagging.”
Bahr said Congress needs to pass laws that turn the country away from energy sources that cause pollution.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food