PHOENIX — Home prices are rising in the Valley faster than anywhere else in the nation, a pricing index showed.
The latest Case-Shiller home price index showed that home prices in the Phoenix area jumped by 22.5 percent in the past year.
Diane Brennan, host of “That Real Estate Show” on KTAR, said that Phoenix home prices were the first to drop during the recession, so it only makes sense that the Valley tops the list now that prices are making a comeback.
In fact, Brennan said some areas of the Valley have home prices that are rising much faster than that 22.5 percent figure.
“It might be 22 percent on average, but we’ve seen some places jump 100 percent in some of the hardest hit areas,” she said, adding that those areas include south Phoenix, Queen Creek, San Tan Valley and other outlying areas.
The prices are rising because the demand for homes is high, while the inventory is low. That causes a problem for realtors like Brennan.
“It’s frustrating for realtors and real estate agents in the Valley because we have buyers, but we just don’t have any sellers.”
Brennan said many people are still hanging on to their homes because they were underwater in their mortgage and they don’t realize that prices have risen.
Brennan does not believe in predictions that Phoenix is in a second housing “bubble” that is about to burst.
“I think that ‘other bubble’ is a bunch of malarkey,” she said. “I think those people who are panicking and calling doomsday again is unfounded.”
Brennan said if you’re thinking of selling your home or even refinancing your mortgage, now’s the time to ask your realtor what your home is worth.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier