PHOENIX — A 14-foot giraffe that was shot and killed in South Africa three years ago now has a permanent home in Tucson.
The stuffed giraffe now sits in the main room at the International Wildlife Museum in Tucson. It arrived Tuesday after a 900-mile road trip from Sacramento, where it was taxidermied and prepared for the trip.
Museum director Richard White said he was thrilled when the hunter’s father offered to donate the animal.
“We certainly were interested in it and finally once the taxidermy work was done, it was delivered to us.”
The taxidermy work took about three years to complete.
The giraffe now joins a female giraffe already on display.
“We have built a pathway under so kids can walk under the giraffe”, said White.
A 19-year-old woman reportedly shot and killed the animal during a family hunting trip. Giraffes can be legally hunted in Africa, even though it’s pricey. After spending at least $7,000 to preserve it before shipping it to the U.S., the animal made it to the taxidermist in Sacramento.
The total cost of the gifted giraffe is approximately $30,000.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.