An Arizona woman is being held in jail in Mexico on charges that she was trying to smuggle nearly 12 pounds of marijuana into the United States.
Yanira Maldonado will have a court hearing on Tuesday and a judge will have until Friday to make a decision on what happens next.
Maldonado was arrested Wednesday as she and her husband were on their way back to the U.S. from a family funeral. They were on a bus when it was stopped near Hermosillo, Mexico at a military checkpoint.
Her husband was originally told the marijuana was found under his seat. They then let him go and charged his wife.
Her family believes she was targeted and that Mexican authorities want money from them.
“It’s about getting money here,” Yanira Maldonado’s husband, Gary Maldonado, told CNN’s “Starting Point” Tuesday.
Her daughter Anna Soto, who is one of seven children, visited on Saturday and is scared she will never see her mother again.
Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake has been in contact with the deputy Mexican ambassador and is following the case.
“Senator Flake is personally monitoring the situation, and he has had multiple conversations with the deputy Mexican ambassador this weekend,” Flake’s office said.
Husband, father-in-law fight for release of wife
Daughter cries when talking with CNN about her mother
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.