An Arizona woman is being held in jail in Mexico on charges that she was trying to smuggle nearly 12 pounds of marijuana into the United States.
Yanira Maldonado will have a court hearing on Tuesday and a judge will have until Friday to make a decision on what happens next.
Maldonado was arrested Wednesday as she and her husband were on their way back to the U.S. from a family funeral. They were on a bus when it was stopped near Hermosillo, Mexico at a military checkpoint.
Her husband was originally told the marijuana was found under his seat. They then let him go and charged his wife.
Her family believes she was targeted and that Mexican authorities want money from them.
“It’s about getting money here,” Yanira Maldonado’s husband, Gary Maldonado, told CNN’s “Starting Point” Tuesday.
Her daughter Anna Soto, who is one of seven children, visited on Saturday and is scared she will never see her mother again.
Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake has been in contact with the deputy Mexican ambassador and is following the case.
“Senator Flake is personally monitoring the situation, and he has had multiple conversations with the deputy Mexican ambassador this weekend,” Flake’s office said.
Husband, father-in-law fight for release of wife
Daughter cries when talking with CNN about her mother
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon