An Arizona woman is being held in jail in Mexico on charges that she was trying to smuggle nearly 12 pounds of marijuana into the United States.
Yanira Maldonado will have a court hearing on Tuesday and a judge will have until Friday to make a decision on what happens next.
Maldonado was arrested Wednesday as she and her husband were on their way back to the U.S. from a family funeral. They were on a bus when it was stopped near Hermosillo, Mexico at a military checkpoint.
Her husband was originally told the marijuana was found under his seat. They then let him go and charged his wife.
Her family believes she was targeted and that Mexican authorities want money from them.
“It’s about getting money here,” Yanira Maldonado’s husband, Gary Maldonado, told CNN’s “Starting Point” Tuesday.
Her daughter Anna Soto, who is one of seven children, visited on Saturday and is scared she will never see her mother again.
Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake has been in contact with the deputy Mexican ambassador and is following the case.
“Senator Flake is personally monitoring the situation, and he has had multiple conversations with the deputy Mexican ambassador this weekend,” Flake’s office said.
Husband, father-in-law fight for release of wife
Daughter cries when talking with CNN about her mother
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night