PHOENIX — The driver of a hit-and-run accident that killed an 11-year-old boy near 35th Avenue and Campbell Avenue Saturday night turned himself in Tuesday.
According to a spokesperson with the Phoenix Police Department, Mabior Ding, 23, will be booked with manslaughter and leaving the scene of a fatal collision.
Saturday at 7:45 p.m. a silver 1999 Isuzu Amigo was backing out of a parking space in the south parking lot of the Fountainhead Apartments when his vehicle collided with the child who was walking with his mother.
Witnesses at the scene said the suspect helped get the boy out from under the vehicle before walking away.
The boy was transported to a nearby hospital following the accident but died shortly upon arrival.
Officials believe Mabior couldn’t stop his vehicle because he failed to remove the security club from the steering wheel and brake pedal before putting the car in reverse.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night