PHOENIX — During a Tuesday City Council meeting, members will hear how much programs and services will be cut as a result of the automatic federal spending cuts.
The city’s fiscal year starts July 1 and several programs will be affected.
According to a city report, Phoenix will get nearly $1.5 million less for the Head Start Education Division, and 186 fewer families will receive services. The city is planning to cut $330,000 from homeless services grants and programs and up to $250,000 for senior services, like “Meals on Wheels” which includes home-delivered meals for the elderly and disabled.
In early May, Congress authorized moving money around to avoid furloughs of 15,000 air traffic controllers, including in the Valley. That money is scheduled to run out on October 1.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets