PHOENIX — During a Tuesday City Council meeting, members will hear how much programs and services will be cut as a result of the automatic federal spending cuts.
The city’s fiscal year starts July 1 and several programs will be affected.
According to a city report, Phoenix will get nearly $1.5 million less for the Head Start Education Division, and 186 fewer families will receive services. The city is planning to cut $330,000 from homeless services grants and programs and up to $250,000 for senior services, like “Meals on Wheels” which includes home-delivered meals for the elderly and disabled.
In early May, Congress authorized moving money around to avoid furloughs of 15,000 air traffic controllers, including in the Valley. That money is scheduled to run out on October 1.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths