PHOENIX — Arizona is home to more than 500,000 veterans and many are struggling to find jobs.
That’s why Phoenix City Council members are being asked to get behind the H.E.R.O. (Hire Educate Recruit Organize) Initiative, a program designed to help veterans and their spouses with career guidance.
Mayor Greg Stanton unveiled the initiative last year and last December the city held its first job fair for veterans. It attracted 25 employers.
Now, with city staff support and federal funding, the plan is to hold more fairs and provide more services.
There’s often a disconnect between veterans and employers who may not understand how military skills can benefit the workplace. The H.E.R.O. Initiative can help translate military jargon and make introductions between job seekers and employers looking to hire veterans.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.