PHOENIX — Arizona is home to more than 500,000 veterans and many are struggling to find jobs.
That’s why Phoenix City Council members are being asked to get behind the H.E.R.O. (Hire Educate Recruit Organize) Initiative, a program designed to help veterans and their spouses with career guidance.
Mayor Greg Stanton unveiled the initiative last year and last December the city held its first job fair for veterans. It attracted 25 employers.
Now, with city staff support and federal funding, the plan is to hold more fairs and provide more services.
There’s often a disconnect between veterans and employers who may not understand how military skills can benefit the workplace. The H.E.R.O. Initiative can help translate military jargon and make introductions between job seekers and employers looking to hire veterans.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick