PHOENIX — Sitting in the front row of the Lodestar Day Resource Center’s lobby, Wade Roeker bobs his head to the brass quintet.
“I love music and I love great musicians,” he said, who is homeless and looking for work.
Roeker’s never seen a quintet play live, until Monday when the Phoenix Symphony showed up to the downtown Phoenix shelter and put on a free concert.
“If I were to attend the symphony I doubt if I would be so lucky as to have such a great vantage point,” said Roeker.
The concert was part of the symphony’s B-Sharp Homeless Initiative, a program that uses the power of music to inspire those who might feel powerless.
“When you have people who are experiencing extreme hardship in life they get to come in here for an hour and just relax and experience something beautiful,” said Kim Leavitt, director of education and community involvement at the Phoenix Symphony.
Leavitt said they put on concerts once a month at different shelters around the Valley.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night