PHOENIX — Sitting in the front row of the Lodestar Day Resource Center’s lobby, Wade Roeker bobs his head to the brass quintet.
“I love music and I love great musicians,” he said, who is homeless and looking for work.
Roeker’s never seen a quintet play live, until Monday when the Phoenix Symphony showed up to the downtown Phoenix shelter and put on a free concert.
“If I were to attend the symphony I doubt if I would be so lucky as to have such a great vantage point,” said Roeker.
The concert was part of the symphony’s B-Sharp Homeless Initiative, a program that uses the power of music to inspire those who might feel powerless.
“When you have people who are experiencing extreme hardship in life they get to come in here for an hour and just relax and experience something beautiful,” said Kim Leavitt, director of education and community involvement at the Phoenix Symphony.
Leavitt said they put on concerts once a month at different shelters around the Valley.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier