PHOENIX — Sitting in the front row of the Lodestar Day Resource Center’s lobby, Wade Roeker bobs his head to the brass quintet.
“I love music and I love great musicians,” he said, who is homeless and looking for work.
Roeker’s never seen a quintet play live, until Monday when the Phoenix Symphony showed up to the downtown Phoenix shelter and put on a free concert.
“If I were to attend the symphony I doubt if I would be so lucky as to have such a great vantage point,” said Roeker.
The concert was part of the symphony’s B-Sharp Homeless Initiative, a program that uses the power of music to inspire those who might feel powerless.
“When you have people who are experiencing extreme hardship in life they get to come in here for an hour and just relax and experience something beautiful,” said Kim Leavitt, director of education and community involvement at the Phoenix Symphony.
Leavitt said they put on concerts once a month at different shelters around the Valley.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development