PHOENIX — Sitting in the front row of the Lodestar Day Resource Center’s lobby, Wade Roeker bobs his head to the brass quintet.
“I love music and I love great musicians,” he said, who is homeless and looking for work.
Roeker’s never seen a quintet play live, until Monday when the Phoenix Symphony showed up to the downtown Phoenix shelter and put on a free concert.
“If I were to attend the symphony I doubt if I would be so lucky as to have such a great vantage point,” said Roeker.
The concert was part of the symphony’s B-Sharp Homeless Initiative, a program that uses the power of music to inspire those who might feel powerless.
“When you have people who are experiencing extreme hardship in life they get to come in here for an hour and just relax and experience something beautiful,” said Kim Leavitt, director of education and community involvement at the Phoenix Symphony.
Leavitt said they put on concerts once a month at different shelters around the Valley.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy