TEMPE, Ariz. — Tempe police investigated an officer-involved shooting Monday morning near Sun Devil Stadium.
Police were called to the House of Tricks restaurant near Forest Avenue and University Drive,after a street sweeper saw a man damaging the property at around 4 a.m.
“He said he saw this individual throwing things, pulling plants out of the plant holders, throwing umbrellas into the streets,” said Tempe Police Sgt. Michael Pooley.
When an officer tried to make contact, police said the suspect became violent.
“The individual got something. We believe it was a wine bottle, picked it up and threw it and hit him in the head,” said Pooley. “The officer fired at least one shot, striking the suspect in the hand.”
The suspect was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
The officer suffered minor injuries.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments