PHOENIX — The FAA will pass new rules in 2015 and Congress would have to sign off on those rules that could open airspace to more unmanned drones and that could be invaluable when it comes to fighting wildfires.
KTAR wildfire expert Eric Neitzel said remote-controlled drones would be able to cut through the thickest smoke and give fire commanders a big jump on where wildfires are moving and where to put the manpower.
“It’s not a firefighting air tanker that could drop water but it’s an intelligence gathering tool,” Neitzel said.
Neitzel said the unmanned aircraft has been used before in 2007-2008 to take a birds eye view of mammoth fires in California and Idaho. He was impressed.
“They covered a large area to map out the fires. They provided near real-time information that gave us a tool to better know where these fires were.”
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them