PHOENIX — About 700,000 Arizonans will take to the roads and skies over the Memorial Day weekend, Triple-A of Arizona said.
The holiday is viewed as the beginning of the summer travel season. The Arizona Department of Transportation is expecting heavy traffic on Valley freeways on Friday, especially on Interstate 17, Interstate 10 and State Route 87.
“It’s so important for drivers to be careful,” said Doug Nintzel with ADOT. “Pack the patience because you’ll be sharing the roads with alot of people.”
To ease holiday travel, ADOT will not schedule any construction closures along state highways over the extended weekend.
Eight people died during last year’s Memorial Day weekend on highways and local streets in Arizona. Five of the fatal crashes were alcohol-related, claiming the lives of six people.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food