PHOENIX — A new map claims there is a lot of hate in some parts of the country.
The map was created by Humboldt State University researchers through the use of a program called DOLLY, which maps geography according to social media.
Researchers looked at tweets sent between June 2012 and April 2013 that contained certain words that may be considered offensive. There were a lot of them.
“They said that it was 150,000 insults aggregated over those months, said Arizona State University Digital Director Robin Phillips.
Researchers used the data to create a color-coded map of the U.S., with red indicating areas where a lot of the hate tweets originated.
“The red parts are very red and angry looking and they are primarily in the east and the southeast,” Phillips said.
Phillips said that people must be pretty nice in Arizona. The state was among those with the least amount of hate tweets but two areas were worse than others.
“A little bit more of the negative tweets were in Yuma and Tucson,” he said.
One area where much of Arizona does show up in the red category is in the number of tweets that include the word “queer.”
Phillips noted Arizona may have done better because it wasn’t a state that was in play during last year’s divisive presidential election.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food