PHOENIX — A new map claims there is a lot of hate in some parts of the country.
The map was created by Humboldt State University researchers through the use of a program called DOLLY, which maps geography according to social media.
Researchers looked at tweets sent between June 2012 and April 2013 that contained certain words that may be considered offensive. There were a lot of them.
“They said that it was 150,000 insults aggregated over those months, said Arizona State University Digital Director Robin Phillips.
Researchers used the data to create a color-coded map of the U.S., with red indicating areas where a lot of the hate tweets originated.
“The red parts are very red and angry looking and they are primarily in the east and the southeast,” Phillips said.
Phillips said that people must be pretty nice in Arizona. The state was among those with the least amount of hate tweets but two areas were worse than others.
“A little bit more of the negative tweets were in Yuma and Tucson,” he said.
One area where much of Arizona does show up in the red category is in the number of tweets that include the word “queer.”
Phillips noted Arizona may have done better because it wasn’t a state that was in play during last year’s divisive presidential election.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.