PHOENIX — A Phoenix woman now has her high school diploma because she wouldn’t take no for an answer.
Adali Ortiz, 22, was a junior at North Canyon High School when she gave birth. She had to drop out of school to take care of her daughter, Ava Marie.
Last year, with the encouragement of her husband Raoul and father Javier, she decided to return to North Canyon.
They said no.
“I was about to turn 21,” said Ortiz. “Most of the high schools don’t take you when you’re 21 because I think that’s like the latest age you can be in high school.”
Administrators at North Canyon advised her to get a GED. But Adali was determined to graduate from high school. A friends suggested you check out Arizona Collegiate High School in Phoenix.
“They accepted me, and they helped me through the whole process,” Ortiz said.
It paid off. Tuesday night, her husband, father and 3-year-old daughter were on hand when she got her diploma. Her mother is in Mexico because of her immigration status and could not attend the ceremony.
Nevertheless, Ortiz is proud.
“There’s no words to explain this feeling,” she said. “It’s a very special moment.”
Ortiz plans to attend Phoenix College and eventually have a career in healthcare. She hopes to work with kids at Phoenix Children’s Hospital.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns