PHOENIX — A Phoenix woman now has her high school diploma because she wouldn’t take no for an answer.
Adali Ortiz, 22, was a junior at North Canyon High School when she gave birth. She had to drop out of school to take care of her daughter, Ava Marie.
Last year, with the encouragement of her husband Raoul and father Javier, she decided to return to North Canyon.
They said no.
“I was about to turn 21,” said Ortiz. “Most of the high schools don’t take you when you’re 21 because I think that’s like the latest age you can be in high school.”
Administrators at North Canyon advised her to get a GED. But Adali was determined to graduate from high school. A friends suggested you check out Arizona Collegiate High School in Phoenix.
“They accepted me, and they helped me through the whole process,” Ortiz said.
It paid off. Tuesday night, her husband, father and 3-year-old daughter were on hand when she got her diploma. Her mother is in Mexico because of her immigration status and could not attend the ceremony.
Nevertheless, Ortiz is proud.
“There’s no words to explain this feeling,” she said. “It’s a very special moment.”
Ortiz plans to attend Phoenix College and eventually have a career in healthcare. She hopes to work with kids at Phoenix Children’s Hospital.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night