PHOENIX — A Phoenix woman now has her high school diploma because she wouldn’t take no for an answer.
Adali Ortiz, 22, was a junior at North Canyon High School when she gave birth. She had to drop out of school to take care of her daughter, Ava Marie.
Last year, with the encouragement of her husband Raoul and father Javier, she decided to return to North Canyon.
They said no.
“I was about to turn 21,” said Ortiz. “Most of the high schools don’t take you when you’re 21 because I think that’s like the latest age you can be in high school.”
Administrators at North Canyon advised her to get a GED. But Adali was determined to graduate from high school. A friends suggested you check out Arizona Collegiate High School in Phoenix.
“They accepted me, and they helped me through the whole process,” Ortiz said.
It paid off. Tuesday night, her husband, father and 3-year-old daughter were on hand when she got her diploma. Her mother is in Mexico because of her immigration status and could not attend the ceremony.
Nevertheless, Ortiz is proud.
“There’s no words to explain this feeling,” she said. “It’s a very special moment.”
Ortiz plans to attend Phoenix College and eventually have a career in healthcare. She hopes to work with kids at Phoenix Children’s Hospital.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon