PHOENIX — A pedestrian mall might be coming to the heart of downtown Phoenix.
The mall would be located in an area that’s become the most heavily traveled pedestrian thoroughfares in the city: The area near the Phoenix Convention Center.
Since the expansion of the convention center and areas around it, foot traffic has exploded.
“What we are looking at is how we can activate the street,” said Eric Johnson, Economic Development Program Manager for the City of Phoenix. “What we need are more retail and commercial and just other activities to try to activate the area.”
Phoenix is currently studying the idea and is asking for input from business owners, organizations and community members. The information will be used to produce a summary which will be reviewed during public meetings coming in the summer.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets