PHOENIX — First Bisbee, now Tucson.
City leaders are looking to offer more protections to same-sex couples under the law.
“As soon as there was some word that Bisbee might be taking some action, I had a lot of people to ask for Tucson to take similar action and to whatever we could to protect civil union relationships,” said Tucson City Councilmember Karin Uhlich.
If the council approves changes to the current domestic partner registry, same-sex couples would be afforded rights reserved for married couples.
“It’s heartening that not only our state, but our nation seems to be turning the corner,” said Uhlich
Attornies for the city have been working with the Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne to avoid any legal troubles, as was the case when Bisbee passed its ordinance.
City leaders will host a study session on May 29 and, if the majority of mayor and council agree, staff will draw up the ordinance. The process for adoption takes approximately thirty days.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development