PHOENIX — First Bisbee, now Tucson.
City leaders are looking to offer more protections to same-sex couples under the law.
“As soon as there was some word that Bisbee might be taking some action, I had a lot of people to ask for Tucson to take similar action and to whatever we could to protect civil union relationships,” said Tucson City Councilmember Karin Uhlich.
If the council approves changes to the current domestic partner registry, same-sex couples would be afforded rights reserved for married couples.
“It’s heartening that not only our state, but our nation seems to be turning the corner,” said Uhlich
Attornies for the city have been working with the Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne to avoid any legal troubles, as was the case when Bisbee passed its ordinance.
City leaders will host a study session on May 29 and, if the majority of mayor and council agree, staff will draw up the ordinance. The process for adoption takes approximately thirty days.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night