PHOENIX — First Bisbee, now Tucson.
City leaders are looking to offer more protections to same-sex couples under the law.
“As soon as there was some word that Bisbee might be taking some action, I had a lot of people to ask for Tucson to take similar action and to whatever we could to protect civil union relationships,” said Tucson City Councilmember Karin Uhlich.
If the council approves changes to the current domestic partner registry, same-sex couples would be afforded rights reserved for married couples.
“It’s heartening that not only our state, but our nation seems to be turning the corner,” said Uhlich
Attornies for the city have been working with the Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne to avoid any legal troubles, as was the case when Bisbee passed its ordinance.
City leaders will host a study session on May 29 and, if the majority of mayor and council agree, staff will draw up the ordinance. The process for adoption takes approximately thirty days.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns