PHOENIX — A police standoff at a west Phoenix home Tuesday has ended with the release of eight hostages and the man who was holding them at gunpoint dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
What began as an Amber Alert for a missing 3-year-old in Tolleson on Monday turned into a hourslong police standoff near 91st Avenue and Camelback Road.
The last of Israel Celis’ hostages were let go shortly before 10 a.m. when an adult woman and a 9-year-old came out of the house. Two children — Israel Celis Jr., 4, and a 13-year-old — and another adult had already been released.
At least one adult hostage had non-life threatening injuries.
A SWAT team tore down the front of the house with an armored vehicle just after 8 a.m. and gunfire was heard. Celis and three hostages were still inside.
Police said the elder Celis had taken his son from the boy’s mother, Celis’ estranged wife, from her home in Tolleson. He picked up two more children somewhere else.
Authorities said it is unclear what, if any, relationship Celis has with the other children.
According to Sgt. Rudy Mendoza, Celis Jr. went missing around 4:30 p.m. Monday.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.