PHOENIX — A police standoff at a west Phoenix home Tuesday has ended with the release of eight hostages and the man who was holding them at gunpoint dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
What began as an Amber Alert for a missing 3-year-old in Tolleson on Monday turned into a hourslong police standoff near 91st Avenue and Camelback Road.
The last of Israel Celis’ hostages were let go shortly before 10 a.m. when an adult woman and a 9-year-old came out of the house. Two children — Israel Celis Jr., 4, and a 13-year-old — and another adult had already been released.
At least one adult hostage had non-life threatening injuries.
A SWAT team tore down the front of the house with an armored vehicle just after 8 a.m. and gunfire was heard. Celis and three hostages were still inside.
Police said the elder Celis had taken his son from the boy’s mother, Celis’ estranged wife, from her home in Tolleson. He picked up two more children somewhere else.
Authorities said it is unclear what, if any, relationship Celis has with the other children.
According to Sgt. Rudy Mendoza, Celis Jr. went missing around 4:30 p.m. Monday.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food