PHOENIX — A police standoff at a west Phoenix home Tuesday has ended with the release of eight hostages and the man who was holding them at gunpoint dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
What began as an Amber Alert for a missing 3-year-old in Tolleson on Monday turned into a hourslong police standoff near 91st Avenue and Camelback Road.
The last of Israel Celis’ hostages were let go shortly before 10 a.m. when an adult woman and a 9-year-old came out of the house. Two children — Israel Celis Jr., 4, and a 13-year-old — and another adult had already been released.
At least one adult hostage had non-life threatening injuries.
A SWAT team tore down the front of the house with an armored vehicle just after 8 a.m. and gunfire was heard. Celis and three hostages were still inside.
Police said the elder Celis had taken his son from the boy’s mother, Celis’ estranged wife, from her home in Tolleson. He picked up two more children somewhere else.
Authorities said it is unclear what, if any, relationship Celis has with the other children.
According to Sgt. Rudy Mendoza, Celis Jr. went missing around 4:30 p.m. Monday.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development