Thousands of firefighters and police officers from all over the Valley honored the lives to two fallen Phoenix heroes Wednesday by helping their families in a fundraising effort.
“We take care of our brothers and sisters,” said retired firefighter Tim Smith. Smith was part of the grilling team, busily cooking hamburgers and hot dogs during a special Benefit Barbecue for the families of Officer Daryl Raetz and Firefighter Bradley Harper.
Phoenix police officer Daryl Raetz, 29, was struck by an SUV and killed Sunday while he was investigating a DUI traffic stop.
Phoenix firefighter Bradley Harper, 23, was pinned between two emergency vehicles while responding to a brush fire. He succumbed to his injuries at the hospital on Sunday.
The Phoenix Law Enforcement Association and the Phoenix Professional Fire Fighters of Arizona are hosting the event “to honor our fallen and support their families.”
The fundraiser is being held through 1 a.m. at the Sheraton Crescent Hotel, located at 2620 W. Dunlap Ave., in Phoenix.
Those who want to donate to the family of Officer Daryl Raetz online can click here.
Those who want to do donate to the widow of fallen Phoenix Firefighter Brad Harper can go to any Chase Bank and ask for account #2959805195. All donations will go to his widow.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier