The owners of Amy’s Baking Company could find themselves in legal trouble after it was revealed that they keep tips given to servers.
The owners, Samy and Amy Bouzaglo, admitted on an episode of “Kitchen nightmares” that they pay their servers between $8 and $14 per hour instead of using the standard tip-based pay system used in most restaurants.
In an email, a representative from the Department of Labor said the Bouzaglos could be in violation of the law.
“DOL regulations make clear that under the Fair Labor Standards Act tips are the property of the employee whether or not the employer has taken a tip credit,” said Deanne Amaden in an email. “An employer is prohibited from using an employee’s tips, whether or not it has taken a tip credit, for any reason other than as a partial credit against its minimum wage obligation to the employee or in furtherance of a valid tip pool (i.e., a pool including only customarily and regularly tipped employees).”
Amaden said the department would need more information about the situation to make a clear decision. She would not comment on if her agency is investigating the Bouzaglos.
Amy’s Baking Company came under fire this week after numerous postings on its Facebook page caught the eye of the Internet. The Bouzaglos have since claimed their social media sites were hacked and have filed a complaint with police.
The restaurant is hosting a reopening Tuesday night.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development