The owners of Amy’s Baking Company could find themselves in legal trouble after it was revealed that they keep tips given to servers.
The owners, Samy and Amy Bouzaglo, admitted on an episode of “Kitchen nightmares” that they pay their servers between $8 and $14 per hour instead of using the standard tip-based pay system used in most restaurants.
In an email, a representative from the Department of Labor said the Bouzaglos could be in violation of the law.
“DOL regulations make clear that under the Fair Labor Standards Act tips are the property of the employee whether or not the employer has taken a tip credit,” said Deanne Amaden in an email. “An employer is prohibited from using an employee’s tips, whether or not it has taken a tip credit, for any reason other than as a partial credit against its minimum wage obligation to the employee or in furtherance of a valid tip pool (i.e., a pool including only customarily and regularly tipped employees).”
Amaden said the department would need more information about the situation to make a clear decision. She would not comment on if her agency is investigating the Bouzaglos.
Amy’s Baking Company came under fire this week after numerous postings on its Facebook page caught the eye of the Internet. The Bouzaglos have since claimed their social media sites were hacked and have filed a complaint with police.
The restaurant is hosting a reopening Tuesday night.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.