PHOENIX — Despite a lack of human infections, public health officials are warning against ticks and the danger they can pose to both humans and animals.
Ticks and fleas thrive in areas like North Rim of the Grand Canyon, which is a popular getaway spot for Valley dwellers to camp or hike during the hot summer months.
“We want to make campers aware of their surroundings and to make sure they are protected; encourage them to avoid direct contact with wildlife,” said Randy Phillips, division manager for Coconino County Public Health Service.
Coconino County has started a project to find hosts and run tests on ticks. Phillips said they are attempting to track infected insects and the diseases they carry before they can become a problem.
While there is no immediate threat or cause for concern, health experts urge everyone to be aware of the risks associated with these insects and to protect their animals.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets