PHOENIX — Despite a lack of human infections, public health officials are warning against ticks and the danger they can pose to both humans and animals.
Ticks and fleas thrive in areas like North Rim of the Grand Canyon, which is a popular getaway spot for Valley dwellers to camp or hike during the hot summer months.
“We want to make campers aware of their surroundings and to make sure they are protected; encourage them to avoid direct contact with wildlife,” said Randy Phillips, division manager for Coconino County Public Health Service.
Coconino County has started a project to find hosts and run tests on ticks. Phillips said they are attempting to track infected insects and the diseases they carry before they can become a problem.
While there is no immediate threat or cause for concern, health experts urge everyone to be aware of the risks associated with these insects and to protect their animals.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development