PHOENIX — Despite a lack of human infections, public health officials are warning against ticks and the danger they can pose to both humans and animals.
Ticks and fleas thrive in areas like North Rim of the Grand Canyon, which is a popular getaway spot for Valley dwellers to camp or hike during the hot summer months.
“We want to make campers aware of their surroundings and to make sure they are protected; encourage them to avoid direct contact with wildlife,” said Randy Phillips, division manager for Coconino County Public Health Service.
Coconino County has started a project to find hosts and run tests on ticks. Phillips said they are attempting to track infected insects and the diseases they carry before they can become a problem.
While there is no immediate threat or cause for concern, health experts urge everyone to be aware of the risks associated with these insects and to protect their animals.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America