PHOENIX — Phoenix currently has light rail, buses and cars, but residents may soon have yet another way to get around.
On Tuesday, the city’s transportation and infrastructure subcommittee will recommend that the city council award a five-year contract with a company to provide a city-wide bike sharing program that would allow people to rent bikes at one location and return at another location once they are finished.
The company, Cycle Hop, would own, operate and maintain the program. It already does business with Chicago, Tampa and other cities.
The plan calls for no city tax dollars to be used. Instead, Cycle Hop sets it up and collects rental fees.
According to a city report, Cycle Hop has quoted a one-day rental at $5, a five-day at $20 and 30-day at $30. The first hour is free and each additional 30 minutes would cost an extra $2.00. Annual memberships would also be offered.
If the full council approves the plan, Cycle Hop expects to launch the bike sharing program in mid-December.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development