PHOENIX — The third “Guns for Groceries” event in Phoenix, which had been in doubt because of funding issues, will go on as scheduled Saturday.
An anonymous donor contributed $100,000 Tuesday, the same amount that was spent on grocery gift cards for those who turned in a gun.
Almost 1,000 guns were turned in during the first two Saturdays of the event. That was the entire supply of gift cards until another benefactor stepped up.
Phoenix Police Sgt. Steve Martos said the program ran out of grocery cards early last Saturday and had to turn away a few people. Others turned in guns without getting the gift card.
“About 70 people submitted their guns this past week without getting anything in return,” he said.
The last gun buyback will held at Betania Presbyterian Church, at 39th Avenue and Thomas Road; Southminster Presbyterian at 19th Street and Broadway Road; and Sunnyslope Mennonite Church at Seventh Street near East Mountain View Road, in the North Mountain Park area.
Martos said this will likely be the last buyback because Gov. Jan Brewer signed legislation into law that prevents cities from destroying weapons obtained during buybacks.
That law takes effect 90 days after the legislative session ends.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.