PHOENIX — The third “Guns for Groceries” event in Phoenix, which had been in doubt because of funding issues, will go on as scheduled Saturday.
An anonymous donor contributed $100,000 Tuesday, the same amount that was spent on grocery gift cards for those who turned in a gun.
Almost 1,000 guns were turned in during the first two Saturdays of the event. That was the entire supply of gift cards until another benefactor stepped up.
Phoenix Police Sgt. Steve Martos said the program ran out of grocery cards early last Saturday and had to turn away a few people. Others turned in guns without getting the gift card.
“About 70 people submitted their guns this past week without getting anything in return,” he said.
The last gun buyback will held at Betania Presbyterian Church, at 39th Avenue and Thomas Road; Southminster Presbyterian at 19th Street and Broadway Road; and Sunnyslope Mennonite Church at Seventh Street near East Mountain View Road, in the North Mountain Park area.
Martos said this will likely be the last buyback because Gov. Jan Brewer signed legislation into law that prevents cities from destroying weapons obtained during buybacks.
That law takes effect 90 days after the legislative session ends.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon