MESA, Ariz. — Prior to the 2012-2013 basketball season, Mesa Westwood High School’s basketball team had most of its equipment stolen from the locker room.
“It was between $1,500 and $2,000 worth of equipment,” said Richard Long, assistant basketball coach. “Mostly jerseys, sweats, bags, shooting shirts.”
On Monday, the Westwood Warriors received more than enough to replace the stolen gear.
The Phoenix Suns and Century Link threw an assembly in the school’s gymnasium, where they gave Westwood a $5,000 check as part of their Team Assist program, which awards winners based on their dedication to the community and volunteer work.
“Our kids have been involved out in the community,” said Long. “Working with kids at the middle and elementary school and doing all kinds of community service.”
The donation will be distributed between the boys and girls basketball programs.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon