PHOENIX — The Arizona Corporation Commission has taken small steps that could eventually lead to opening up the state’s electric markets.
Although that possibility is probably years down the road, the commission will hold two meetings at a date to be determined and will also seek input from stakeholders.
Arizona’s future could see open competition for power consumers. Meaning consumers could potentially drop Arizona Public Service as their power provider and buy power from a third party.
Diane Brown with the Arizona Public Interest Research Group said she won’t give opening up the market her blessing unless it works favor of the customer.
“Consumers would have to have actual choices, including a utility that will increase energy efficiency and clean energy, which is what we see ratepayers wanting more and more.”
Salt River Project’s rates are not regulated by the Corporation Commission because SRP is a political subdivision of the state. The commission has no power over municipal utilities.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food