PHOENIX — The Arizona Corporation Commission has taken small steps that could eventually lead to opening up the state’s electric markets.
Although that possibility is probably years down the road, the commission will hold two meetings at a date to be determined and will also seek input from stakeholders.
Arizona’s future could see open competition for power consumers. Meaning consumers could potentially drop Arizona Public Service as their power provider and buy power from a third party.
Diane Brown with the Arizona Public Interest Research Group said she won’t give opening up the market her blessing unless it works favor of the customer.
“Consumers would have to have actual choices, including a utility that will increase energy efficiency and clean energy, which is what we see ratepayers wanting more and more.”
Salt River Project’s rates are not regulated by the Corporation Commission because SRP is a political subdivision of the state. The commission has no power over municipal utilities.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.