PHOENIX — Officers with the Phoenix Police Department were called to the intersection of N. Central Ave. and W. Van Buren St. at around 8:45 p.m. Saturday night after a 2003 Mercury SUV collided with Light Rail train #108.
The driver of the SUV, later identified as 38-year-old Guadalupe Cobos Jr., failed to stop for a red light and collided with the broadside of the train. After the collision, Cobos Jr. fled the scene on foot before being detained by an ASU police officer four blocks away.
According to a spokesperson with the Phoenix PD, Cobos Jr. showed signs of impairment and was processed and booked for Aggravated DUI and leaving the scene of an injury collision.
At the time of the collision, the train was full of fans coming from both the Arizona Diamondbacks and Arizona Rattlers’ games. Four passengers complained of pain and were transported to a local hospital as a precaution.
While the train and SUV suffered extensive damage, there was only minimal disruption to the Light Rail service.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night