PHOENIX — Students in North Phoenix are saying goodbye to their old school.
It’ll have the same name next year, but the school is going “green” with its new buildings that are being built right next door.
The 1,000 students at Lookout Mountain Elementary School will be in new eco-friendly classrooms next year. It’s the largest geothermal project currently going on in Arizona.
“Our two story educational building, plus our gym, is all geothermal,” said Lookout Mountain Principal Trish Johnson. “We have heavy insulation in our walls and ceilings and our glasswork is solar band heat reflected insulated glass.”
She said there are several other features that will save the district money.
“We’ve got motion censors on all of our classroom lights, as well as our air conditioning units and other parts of the building,” Johnson said. “So when it is unoccupied, they go off automatically.”
Johnson said the renovation is being funded by a $15 million bond override that voters in the Washington Elementary School District approved last year. She said the new school will save the district a lot of money.
“There’s about a 10-year turnaround on the geothermal, from what I understand,” said Johnson. “Ten years is nothing to a school. Once that incures all of that savings, which is about a 40 percent savings, it’ll all go back into the kitty.”
Lookout Mountain Elementary School first opened in 1974. The school’s current buildings will be demolished to make for more playground and parking space. The new buildings are set to open at the start of the next school year.
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again