PHOENIX — This time of year is graduation time at colleges across the country.
But even though they’ve now got their degree, many recent college graduates aren’t making the jump into home ownership. That’s because they’ve gone into debt to get that degree. And with the tough economy, mom and dad haven’t been able to help out as much.
“With the market being what it was the past four years, their parents have been getting kind of buried into their own home situation,” said Valley Real Estate broker Bobby Lieb. “There just wasn’t any money to give the kids when they get out of school.”
A report by the New York Federal Reserve said that nationally, graduates have piled up about one trillion dollars in debt to get their diploma.
Lieb thinks they won’t be buying a home anytime soon.
“I see that buying ability stretched out for another five or six years until they pay their debt significantly down,” said Lieb.
Lieb said recent college graduates make up a very small percentage of first time home buyers, so the Valley real estate market isn’t feeling an impact on their inability to buy a house. At least, not yet.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns