PHOENIX — This time of year is graduation time at colleges across the country.
But even though they’ve now got their degree, many recent college graduates aren’t making the jump into home ownership. That’s because they’ve gone into debt to get that degree. And with the tough economy, mom and dad haven’t been able to help out as much.
“With the market being what it was the past four years, their parents have been getting kind of buried into their own home situation,” said Valley Real Estate broker Bobby Lieb. “There just wasn’t any money to give the kids when they get out of school.”
A report by the New York Federal Reserve said that nationally, graduates have piled up about one trillion dollars in debt to get their diploma.
Lieb thinks they won’t be buying a home anytime soon.
“I see that buying ability stretched out for another five or six years until they pay their debt significantly down,” said Lieb.
Lieb said recent college graduates make up a very small percentage of first time home buyers, so the Valley real estate market isn’t feeling an impact on their inability to buy a house. At least, not yet.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon