PHOENIX — Dozens of supporters showed up at Phoenix Children’s Hospital on Friday to wish a long-time patient good luck.
Ethan Maurice has been receiving treatment at Phoenix Children’s Hospital for a rare blood clotting disorder since he was three years old.
Five years ago, he took a turn for the worse. Ethan was rushed to PCH after suffering a stroke.
“Doctors induced a coma,” Ethan said. “I was in a coma for three days and intensive care for nine days. I had more seizures after the coma. I came out and I could barely speak. I just said “yes” and “no” for the first week after. But I slowly rehabbed.”
Now that he has recovered, the 21-year-old Northern Arizona University student is giving back to the hospital by going for a bike ride with his 16-year-old brother Reid.
“We’re riding across the United States for Phoenix Children’s Hospital,” Ethan said. “It’s a total of 4,233 miles for the ride from Virginia to Oregon. We’re hoping to raise $42,000. That’s $10 a mile for PCH.”
The two are paying all of their personal expenses related to the trip, so all of the money raised will go to the hospital.
The two brothers will fly to Virginia to start their trip on Wednesday. They are scheduled to finish their journey in August.
If you would like to donate, visit PCH Pedaling With Purpose
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns