PHOENIX — Dozens of supporters showed up at Phoenix Children’s Hospital on Friday to wish a long-time patient good luck.
Ethan Maurice has been receiving treatment at Phoenix Children’s Hospital for a rare blood clotting disorder since he was three years old.
Five years ago, he took a turn for the worse. Ethan was rushed to PCH after suffering a stroke.
“Doctors induced a coma,” Ethan said. “I was in a coma for three days and intensive care for nine days. I had more seizures after the coma. I came out and I could barely speak. I just said “yes” and “no” for the first week after. But I slowly rehabbed.”
Now that he has recovered, the 21-year-old Northern Arizona University student is giving back to the hospital by going for a bike ride with his 16-year-old brother Reid.
“We’re riding across the United States for Phoenix Children’s Hospital,” Ethan said. “It’s a total of 4,233 miles for the ride from Virginia to Oregon. We’re hoping to raise $42,000. That’s $10 a mile for PCH.”
The two are paying all of their personal expenses related to the trip, so all of the money raised will go to the hospital.
The two brothers will fly to Virginia to start their trip on Wednesday. They are scheduled to finish their journey in August.
If you would like to donate, visit PCH Pedaling With Purpose
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick