PHOENIX — Dozens of supporters showed up at Phoenix Children’s Hospital on Friday to wish a long-time patient good luck.
Ethan Maurice has been receiving treatment at Phoenix Children’s Hospital for a rare blood clotting disorder since he was three years old.
Five years ago, he took a turn for the worse. Ethan was rushed to PCH after suffering a stroke.
“Doctors induced a coma,” Ethan said. “I was in a coma for three days and intensive care for nine days. I had more seizures after the coma. I came out and I could barely speak. I just said “yes” and “no” for the first week after. But I slowly rehabbed.”
Now that he has recovered, the 21-year-old Northern Arizona University student is giving back to the hospital by going for a bike ride with his 16-year-old brother Reid.
“We’re riding across the United States for Phoenix Children’s Hospital,” Ethan said. “It’s a total of 4,233 miles for the ride from Virginia to Oregon. We’re hoping to raise $42,000. That’s $10 a mile for PCH.”
The two are paying all of their personal expenses related to the trip, so all of the money raised will go to the hospital.
The two brothers will fly to Virginia to start their trip on Wednesday. They are scheduled to finish their journey in August.
If you would like to donate, visit PCH Pedaling With Purpose
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night