PHOENIX — Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton got a firsthand look at how some of the local homeless veterans spend their evenings.
Stanton checked into the MANA (Marines, Army, Navy, Air Force) House Thursday night, and spent time listening to the stories and struggles of some of the 70 homeless vets who are looking for work.
“Sometimes if we actually spend a little more time with the veterans we realize the skills sets the employers are looking for does match the employment these guys have had in the military,” Stanton said.
Stanton slept in a bunk bed, and shared the room with six other veterans.
“There were a lot of veterans of even the recent conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq, and they come back here and they feel like they don’t have the support right now,” Stanton said.
Last year, the mayor established the H.E.R.O initiative, an effort to hire the estimated 16,000 homeless veterans in Arizona.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development