PHOENIX — Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton got a firsthand look at how some of the local homeless veterans spend their evenings.
Stanton checked into the MANA (Marines, Army, Navy, Air Force) House Thursday night, and spent time listening to the stories and struggles of some of the 70 homeless vets who are looking for work.
“Sometimes if we actually spend a little more time with the veterans we realize the skills sets the employers are looking for does match the employment these guys have had in the military,” Stanton said.
Stanton slept in a bunk bed, and shared the room with six other veterans.
“There were a lot of veterans of even the recent conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq, and they come back here and they feel like they don’t have the support right now,” Stanton said.
Last year, the mayor established the H.E.R.O initiative, an effort to hire the estimated 16,000 homeless veterans in Arizona.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets