PHOENIX — The Gang of Eight’s immigration reform is moving forward and Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake said the bill
could be on the Senate floor next month.
“It’s a better bill today than it was,” Flake said.
The Senate Judiciary Committee started refining legislation Thursday to secure the borders and grant eventual citizenship to millions living in the United States illegally.
One proposal that advanced and Flake supported came from Sen. Charles Grassley of Iowa. It specifies that a requirement for 90 percent of border crossers be stopped or turned back will apply to the entire southern border, not just “high-risk” sectors.
“This bill has more border security elements than any immigration bill that has ever been introduced. In terms of manpower, infrastructure and surveillance, you name it, it’s got it. This is good Arizona and good for the country as well.”
Flake said he’s hopeful the committee will finish its work late next week and then be on the Senate floor in early June.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night