PHOENIX — The Gang of Eight’s immigration reform is moving forward and Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake said the bill
could be on the Senate floor next month.
“It’s a better bill today than it was,” Flake said.
The Senate Judiciary Committee started refining legislation Thursday to secure the borders and grant eventual citizenship to millions living in the United States illegally.
One proposal that advanced and Flake supported came from Sen. Charles Grassley of Iowa. It specifies that a requirement for 90 percent of border crossers be stopped or turned back will apply to the entire southern border, not just “high-risk” sectors.
“This bill has more border security elements than any immigration bill that has ever been introduced. In terms of manpower, infrastructure and surveillance, you name it, it’s got it. This is good Arizona and good for the country as well.”
Flake said he’s hopeful the committee will finish its work late next week and then be on the Senate floor in early June.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life