PHOENIX — An Arizona researcher are warning that if bees are nearby, and you’re not careful, it could be deadly.
Dr. Gloria Digrande-Hoffman, Research Director of the Carl Hayden Bee Research Center in Tucson said you may be seeing more bees in Arizona for awhile.
“Whenever we have a year with good rains and lots of flowering plans, there’s a tendency for these colonies to get larger and to swarm and become more noticeable,” she said.
The body of 55-year-old Dr. Gregory Hess was found in southern Arizona on Monday. He had been hiking down a cliff in the are and was hanging on to a rope when he was attacked and killed by a swarm of bees. His dog was on the top of the cliff and was also stung to death. Hess was connected to the rope, which was hanging within a few feet of a beehive.
“These sting attacks usually happen when somebody encounters a colony, and accidentally does something that’s a major disturbance that provokes the nest defense behavior that causes the bees to come out and sting,” said Digrande-Hoffman.
If bees are about to attack, the best thing you can do is run. Digrande-Hoffman said most healthy people can run fast enough to get away from a bee attack. Most deaths happen when the victims aren’t in a position to run away.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy