PHOENIX — Letter carriers all over the country will be picking up non-perishable food items that residents leave at their mailboxes on Saturday.
The collection is part of the 21st annual Stamp Out Hunger event, the largest single-day food drive in the country.
“Last year, 75 million lbs. of food was collected nationwide and about two million pounds was collected in Arizona,” said St. Mary’s Food Bank spokesman Jerry Brown. “About 400,000 of that came to Saint Mary’s Food Bank.”
By leaving non-perishable food items at your mailbox, whether it’s at your home or a community location, you will be helping agencies like St. Mary’s Food Bank Alliance, St. Vincent de Paul, United and other Arizona food banks.
“We could really use the food. We are really low on non-perishables,” said Brown, adding that St. Mary’s is worse off this year when it comes to inventory compared to the same time last year, a precarious situation considering they pack 30,000 emergency food boxes monthly.
To learn more, visit firstfoodbank.org.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night