PHOENIX — Letter carriers all over the country will be picking up non-perishable food items that residents leave at their mailboxes on Saturday.
The collection is part of the 21st annual Stamp Out Hunger event, the largest single-day food drive in the country.
“Last year, 75 million lbs. of food was collected nationwide and about two million pounds was collected in Arizona,” said St. Mary’s Food Bank spokesman Jerry Brown. “About 400,000 of that came to Saint Mary’s Food Bank.”
By leaving non-perishable food items at your mailbox, whether it’s at your home or a community location, you will be helping agencies like St. Mary’s Food Bank Alliance, St. Vincent de Paul, United and other Arizona food banks.
“We could really use the food. We are really low on non-perishables,” said Brown, adding that St. Mary’s is worse off this year when it comes to inventory compared to the same time last year, a precarious situation considering they pack 30,000 emergency food boxes monthly.
To learn more, visit firstfoodbank.org.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier