PHOENIX — Letter carriers all over the country will be picking up non-perishable food items that residents leave at their mailboxes on Saturday.
The collection is part of the 21st annual Stamp Out Hunger event, the largest single-day food drive in the country.
“Last year, 75 million lbs. of food was collected nationwide and about two million pounds was collected in Arizona,” said St. Mary’s Food Bank spokesman Jerry Brown. “About 400,000 of that came to Saint Mary’s Food Bank.”
By leaving non-perishable food items at your mailbox, whether it’s at your home or a community location, you will be helping agencies like St. Mary’s Food Bank Alliance, St. Vincent de Paul, United and other Arizona food banks.
“We could really use the food. We are really low on non-perishables,” said Brown, adding that St. Mary’s is worse off this year when it comes to inventory compared to the same time last year, a precarious situation considering they pack 30,000 emergency food boxes monthly.
To learn more, visit firstfoodbank.org.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development