PHOENIX — Letter carriers all over the country will be picking up non-perishable food items that residents leave at their mailboxes on Saturday.
The collection is part of the 21st annual Stamp Out Hunger event, the largest single-day food drive in the country.
“Last year, 75 million lbs. of food was collected nationwide and about two million pounds was collected in Arizona,” said St. Mary’s Food Bank spokesman Jerry Brown. “About 400,000 of that came to Saint Mary’s Food Bank.”
By leaving non-perishable food items at your mailbox, whether it’s at your home or a community location, you will be helping agencies like St. Mary’s Food Bank Alliance, St. Vincent de Paul, United and other Arizona food banks.
“We could really use the food. We are really low on non-perishables,” said Brown, adding that St. Mary’s is worse off this year when it comes to inventory compared to the same time last year, a precarious situation considering they pack 30,000 emergency food boxes monthly.
To learn more, visit firstfoodbank.org.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets