PHOENIX — Glendale firefighters have teamed up with non-profit organization Jenny’s Strength to collect pillow pets for children whose parents have been diagnosed with a deadly disease.
“They take care of the children of parents that may have brain tumors, brain cancer, so when parents are getting treatment, the children aren’t left behind and getting something to make them feel better,” said Glendale firefighter Jeremy Krossman.
May is Brain Tumor Awareness Month and the fire department will be collecting new Pillow Pets all month. These stuffed animals will be presented to affected children, along with emotional support and resources.
Pillow Pet donations can be made at any Glendale fire station.
Jenny’s Strength was started by her sister and a friend, Pam Szukala, after Jenny died from glioblastoma multiforme. That is the most common and aggressive cancerous brain tumor. The 36-year-old was a mom of two young girls.
“Jenny was known for her love of children, not only the babies at church, but her daughters, nieces and nephews and her passion was gift-giving,” said Szukala.
For more information regarding Jenny’s Strength, go to jennysstrength.org
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths