PHOENIX — Glendale firefighters have teamed up with non-profit organization Jenny’s Strength to collect pillow pets for children whose parents have been diagnosed with a deadly disease.
“They take care of the children of parents that may have brain tumors, brain cancer, so when parents are getting treatment, the children aren’t left behind and getting something to make them feel better,” said Glendale firefighter Jeremy Krossman.
May is Brain Tumor Awareness Month and the fire department will be collecting new Pillow Pets all month. These stuffed animals will be presented to affected children, along with emotional support and resources.
Pillow Pet donations can be made at any Glendale fire station.
Jenny’s Strength was started by her sister and a friend, Pam Szukala, after Jenny died from glioblastoma multiforme. That is the most common and aggressive cancerous brain tumor. The 36-year-old was a mom of two young girls.
“Jenny was known for her love of children, not only the babies at church, but her daughters, nieces and nephews and her passion was gift-giving,” said Szukala.
For more information regarding Jenny’s Strength, go to jennysstrength.org
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them