PHOENIX — Glendale firefighters have teamed up with non-profit organization Jenny’s Strength to collect pillow pets for children whose parents have been diagnosed with a deadly disease.
“They take care of the children of parents that may have brain tumors, brain cancer, so when parents are getting treatment, the children aren’t left behind and getting something to make them feel better,” said Glendale firefighter Jeremy Krossman.
May is Brain Tumor Awareness Month and the fire department will be collecting new Pillow Pets all month. These stuffed animals will be presented to affected children, along with emotional support and resources.
Pillow Pet donations can be made at any Glendale fire station.
Jenny’s Strength was started by her sister and a friend, Pam Szukala, after Jenny died from glioblastoma multiforme. That is the most common and aggressive cancerous brain tumor. The 36-year-old was a mom of two young girls.
“Jenny was known for her love of children, not only the babies at church, but her daughters, nieces and nephews and her passion was gift-giving,” said Szukala.
For more information regarding Jenny’s Strength, go to jennysstrength.org
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain