PHOENIX — A Valley economist said the impact of immigration reform on Arizona’s economy is still unknown.
“States might incur additional costs if the immigrants are eligible for additional state programs,” said Jim Rounds. “While I think there are some positives on the revenue side, there’s expenditures related to it. A family of four would have to make a significant income before they’re net contributors to Arizona in terms of taxes paid versus benefits received. It’s not as cut and dry as the federal government is publishing. We have to be cautious about reading all of these optimistic reports about how much income is going to be generated.”
The Social Security Administration claimed a Senate bill to reform immigration would boost the retirement program’s trust fund and help the economy. The administration estimated the Gang of Eight’s immigration reform bill would add three million jobs, increase the country’s gross domestic product by 1.63 percent and shore up the social security fund over the next decade.
Rounds said those numbers appear overly optimistic.
The Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank, said allowing 11 million people who are largely low-skilled to access U.S. taxpayer-funded social benefits will cost more than it generates: Approximately $6 trillion in the next 50 years.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development